Skip to main content

A Busy August, is it time to take a rain check?

Greencube's workload:

Normally August is quiet and the pace of new enquiries slow down and its a great time to catch up and get on top of things. But we are still receiving new garden design enquiries and being inundated with new work. I'm definitely not grumbling but enjoying the pace and its great having Harriet on board to help out which has improved turnaround times for our clients.

We are working on some very interesting projects currently in Essex and Kent, including a garden with a 10 metre climb from front to back and a lovely contemporary garden in Chelsfield.

What's looking good in greencube's garden?

Well a riot of Crocosmia and Echinacea, now my husband would say that the composition doesn't work in this photograph but I love it. It reminds me of a dress in my wardrobe that I'm not brave enough to wear. A riot of colour!!!



Cynara looks great a huge flower has appeared and more on the way, this is a big plant and requires a big space.




What's most pleasing is my harvest of onions and garlics, ready for chilli's, bolognaise, lasagne, stews, stir fry's and anything else I can use them in.
Home grown produce is the best!






So I've now sown some swiss chard for a bit of fun and even the seedlings have red shoots. They look great in ornamental garden, I'm going to eat them small in salads and bigger in stir fry's.



My espalier apple looks poorly and I havn't had one ripe fig off the fig tree yet, very late..... A really bad year for apples, cold winds in the spring, rain throughout the flowering season, lack of bees pollinating, all makes for a sad crop.

But my red lettuce has kept us going all summer from May onwards, I havn't bought a single bag from the supermarket, this is the second crop including pak choi and red lettuce and a mixed seed of cut and come again all grown in raised oak planters with gravel to keep most of the snails and slugs away!!!!



The chillies are growing nicely in the greenhouse, the tomatoes are slow... but the courgettes are finally getting going after a very sad June/July and my pumpkin plant which was a gift from one of my clients is flowering nicely.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sculpture in the garden, greencube designs a sculptural ball garden

I'm still out taking photos of all the gardens that have been constructed in the last year and last night I visited our clients in Borough Green, Kent to photograph this garden. We designed the terracing around this very beautiful home and picked up on the existing buff coloured stone detailing that formed the sills and frames around the doors and windows. A complimentary colour  of yellow granite was finally chosen (Yellow Granite paving from CED) and a sculptural border of yellow granite balls (from Rock Unique) underplanted with Ilex crenata balls and Libertia grandiflora. Oak benches and oak arches have also been included and some division of zones created by deck laid flush with granite. This scheme fuses well with the house and setting. I will return in August to take further photos when the garden furniture is in place and hopefully get some night shots, lighting not yet fully completed at time of visit. Greencube planted this garden in two phases, the trees, ro

But my favourite is most definitely the Telegraph Garden

Designed by Cleve West, a magical space with walls retaining at seat level, so wherever you walk you can pause, sit and enjoy, I managed to gain access to Cleve's garden and even had a brief chat with him. I loved it even more once in the space. The star plant at the show for me is most certainly Dianthus cruentus, with its crimson flowers which looked wonderful in amongst the cotswold stone, with its elegant stems and deep red flower. The statuesque columns, the wonderful dry stone walls and planting that had space, looked natural and certainly did not look like it was only planted a week ago!!!! The play with water with the water pipes and channel through the garden with stone stepping stones, all beautifully executed and inspirational.

greencube's garden in Langton Green, near Tunbridge Wells features in Dutch Magazine this month

Our large garden in Langton Green  designed back in 2010 features in a Dutch magazine for April - Groei & Bloei , I had to use google translator to work out what they said: dutch "door efficient gebruik te maken van niveauverschillen ontstaan op een klein oppervlak twee terrassen, gescheiden door een prachtige plantenbak, die tevens dienst doet als regleuning van de zitbank." literally translates to: "through efficient use of level differences arising on a small surface two terraces, separated by a beautiful planter, who also serves as backrest of the sofa." my dutch is not too good! Here are some more photos of this garden: